28 January 2020

Home again

Just back from another two week jaunt to France.  Unfortunately we were both under par and spent a lot of our time coughing. Even though we didn't feel brilliant I think we managed to achieve a fair bit.

Peter mainly worked with Tim on the gite, putting in the battening and wall supports ready for the upcoming plaster boarding.  Its really taking shape in there now.

Rebecca and I spent two days sorting and clearing the attic. We now have half of the attic stacked with condensed and labelled boxes, spare chairs and beds.  All Rebecca's vintage bone china and glassware is now in a cupboard that she can access easily, rather than scrabbling through boxes.

The other half of the attic has been transformed into a workroom and storage for her chandelier obsession -   where all the sewing and upholstering can be completed without it encroaching on family life.  A very satisfying couple of days.

photo credit - @chateaudelaruche

Peter and I spent a day having a bonfire, clearing out all the rubbish from the small barn and piles of branches leftover from our previous visit.  I love a good fire, though it didn't help the coughs much.

We worked in the garden, tidying the grass edges and creating a new border along the patio near the lake.  Sorted through all the Dahlia bulbs to check for rot. Planted shrubs. Generally had a good tidy round.

Snowdrops and catkins are popping out all over the place






The river is still in fast full flood at Le Boulay




I worked on my Ten stitch blanket




We went out for an acceptable curry, not easy to find in France. A trip round the brocantes, garden centres and homeware shops made a good diversion from daily chores and we got some good bargains.

Now its back home - unpacked, washing and ironing complete. The garden needs some attention, though I am happy to report that the camellia I planted out from a pot, which didn't flower last year, has flower buds on this year, not many but every one a bonus as I took the gamble on it.  Photos to follow as they open.

That's is for now, time to sort dinner - Thai green chicken curry and rice I'm thinking

2 comments:

  1. I have been craving curry. Too bad I can’t make it in time for dinner.
    Love how the gite is taking place. Such great work all of you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be fore you know it your daughter's place will have the majority of it done. That's a big place. You two work so hard there. I know it's a labor of love. Your great parents.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x