5 August 2013

Whilst the oven was on

I love those afternoons when you decide to cook something and then it just snowballs.  I had a load of beetroot that I wanted to roast, so thought maybe I would bake some peaches at the same time.

I roast the beetroot with their skins on, just top and tail them, quarter any large ones, salt, pepper and olive oil and roast until tender.

I didn't have the ingredients for my normal baked peaches so decided just to wing it.  I crumbled up a madeline, grated some marzipan, mixed them together, then halved the peaches, removed stones, made balls with the mixture plonked it on the top.  I then popped them into a dish, half teaspoon of honey on each, drop of orange juice, cover and bake.  I like to eat the peaches at room temperature with ice cream or greek yogurt. I'll let you know how they taste.


Next into the oven was some goat cheese stuffed mini peppers and I chucked in a few vine tomatoes too, they are currently cooking.


For dinner tonight we are having courgette and feta cakes.  I make mine thus.  Boil some potatoes in their skins until tender.  Allow to cool, grate into bowl.  Grate the courgette into colander, sprinkle with a little salt to draw out the water.  Leave for 30 mins, squeeze in some paper towel and add to potatoes, crumble in some feta cheese and chopped mint, season to taste.  Shape into cakes and chill until needed.  Shallow fry in some oil.  Enjoy.


Today's pickings


Progress on the Conundrum Scarf, now past the halfway mark and decreasing



3 comments:

  1. Wow, such lovely foods! I love roasted vegetables; you can throw in just about anything you have around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm! I will bring my crayfish and come over for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever have time to cook again, all of this will be on the list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x