24 April 2019

You know when something is wrong

Yesterday I stood in the kitchen ironing, occasionally gazing out the window at the back fence.  Something was bugging me.  Since setting out the garden, part of the back fence area just didn't feel right.  In fact, I obviously subconsciously knew this, there are hardly any photos of it.  Its that area to the left of the photos where the arch, bird bath/feeders and clock is -  too busy.  Looking at it straight on just felt wrong. 


So what did I do? Popped into the garden where Peter was fiddling and asked if we could move a few things around......  Firstly I asked for the arch to be moved, this involved moving a couple of clematis that had just started climbing, lost the top off one but the other seems fine.  Hopefully once the plants get going this will provide a screen to the breakfast seating area.


Back in, carried on ironing, still not happy. Went back out and asked could we move the bird bath?  Much muttering ensued, a slab was found, spirit level and spade.  I did help carry the very heavy bird bath into place!!


Looks so much better here don't you think? It has since been leveled so that the water doesn't tip to one side, I was in too much of a hurry with the camera.

Back inside and on with the ironing - right those bird feeders need to come off the fence - back out to issue instructions.  Now what to do with those 4 paving slabs?  We have a matching chair that goes with the iron bench in the above photo, and I thought this just might work here.  What do you think?


That's better, and the urn will have something put in it so we have somewhere for a cup of tea or a glass of wine. A few cushions and a book, perfect spot I'd say



Its funny how a few small changes make such a difference. The bird bath just looks so much happier in the border and takes the place of a plant that didn't over-winter.  I'm awaiting the perennials that are coming through on the back fence to get some height in the border, but feel the need of a few shrubs to help it along.  I see a trip to the garden centre in my near future

2 comments:

  1. I am just amazed at how quickly that all filled in. Looks Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks lovely! The birds love a bath that they can just ‘pop’ to from the bushes, makes them feel less vulnerable :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x