28 May 2022

New from old

In recent weeks clothes makeovers have been popping up on my Instagram and Pinterest  feeds.  I must admit I’d never really considered it. But then I thought well you put some sweaters in the charity bag why not give it a go.

Having a heavy head cold and not feeling like going out I set too with three sweaters, a box of ribbons, threads and my sewing equipment. I took my time and figured as I cut the first what’s the worst that can happen? To be honest because these were machine knit sweaters there was no fear of them all falling apart. Still can’t bring myself to try steeking yet!!  Once cut I sorted a suitable ribbon and pinned right sides together, basted, then machine stitched it on. So far so good. Next a quick press and then pinned and hand stitched the ribbon to the wrong side. This reinforces the front edge. I decided to just go with edge to edge cardigans rather than faff with button holes, plus I rarely do up a cardi anyway.

I’m actually pretty pleased with the end result, what do you think?

These two v necked jumpers had been in my cupboard for years and were looking a bit tired and unloved.  The blue one is now perfect for a dress I’m yet to wear. The grey one I’m sure will come in handy over lots of things.



This was a long line tunic which had seen better days and was a bit in the snug side! Now a perfectly comfortable cardigan coat

This was a fun project to do. I have my eye on several more sweaters that could become cardigans. 

Charity bag 0 Wardrobe 3

I’ve not done an awful lot of knitting recently. I seem to have gone off the boil. Currently on my needles is the Linus shawl that I started in France and a Mdina cardigan which is I’m making for my friend Manda.  She supplied the yarn and I’m supplying the labour. She is a knitter but has hand problems at the moment and asked if I could knit up this alpaca yarn that’s been languishing in her stash since 2017 when we attended a workshop! There’s no hurry so a perfect summer project to pick up when I feel like it.

That’s me caught up on the making front. What are you making?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x