26 August 2020

Preserves

Welcome from a very breezy Cambridgeshire.  My washing is double pegged to the line and hopefully will stay put until I'm ready to bring it in.  We seem to have survived the high winds yet again.  Some bruised and battered plants and disturbed sleep but other than that ok.

What have I been doing over the last few days?  Its that time of year when you feel the need to stock up the cupboards with goodies for the coming winter.  Guess it harks back to a time when you couldn't get produce all year round.  I draw the line at bottling/canning but do enjoy making jams and chutneys

Yesterday I made two lots of jam, Damson and then a batch of Blackberry and Apple.  I tend to prepare and freeze fruit so that I can make jam as and when the family need it so the blackberries and apples were from the freezer.






That should keep them going for a while.  I rarely eat jam myself apart from the occasional Victoria Sandwich cake or scones, but the grandchildren love it.  Both Rufus and Gus love a jam sandwich.

Today I have put up some Tomato and Chilli jam using tomatoes we bought back from the Chateau and some from our garden



I'm happy with my results and think that will be it for now.  I do have more blackberries, apricots, plums and damsons in the freezer so can whiz up a batch in next to no time if the need arises.

Do you have a favourite recipe for preserves you use?  If so let me know, its always good to try something new

Take care and wear your mask x


1 comment:

  1. I always liked to make Beach plum jam. I'm not sure if you have them there. i noticed this year there is not an abundance of them .They alternate years. One year nothing another year over loaded. Stay safe!1

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x