11 April 2020

Retirement Trip .....Cut short part 8

Leaving Omarama we drove for a while coming across more lakes and waterways.  As we crested a rise this view came into sight.  It took our breath away.  I will make no apology for the number of photographs to follow on our trip into the Mount Cook National Park The road into the park runs alongside Lake Pukaki, its beautiful turquoise water so beautiful in the bright sunshine.  This was the perfect day

























We had a very strenuous up hill climb to a glacial lake, I thought my heart would break through my chest and the burn in my thighs was incredible but it honestly was really worth it. I'm really not that fit and this clearly showed I need to work on my fitness, though my right hip and knee might have something to say about it.









ICE










After leaving this behind we felt a bit flat for a while though the scenery was far from it. We ended up with a long drive to our overnight in Fairlie, a small town and campsite but we found an amazing restaurant The Red Stag run by a couple and their son.  Can honestly say one of the best meals we ate.  The chef came out to make sure we were happy with our meals and it was lovely to be able to chat to her about the provenance of the ingredients

This is how they serve Whitebait in NZ, like a thin omelette


Venison

Salmon with celeriac rosti
There was a pudding had by me, I honestly didn't really need it but I'll fess up anyway - no pic!

That's enough for today.  I seriously don't think I want to add anything else to this post

1 comment:

  1. Those beautiful mountains and glaciers bring back good memories of out trip to the Tetons in Wyoming.
    Thank you for sharing all that NZ has to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x