21 October 2021

Allotment day

After a damp start the day turned out nice. Still breezy but I was able to get my wash hung out before we headed over to the allotment. 

Our garden trolley is certainly proving handy for carting stuff about without having to use the car - bale of compost, tools, plants etc



First to go in were the brassica plants, I made little collars to go on them to prevent root fly let’s hope they work

Peter hates to throw things away, we’ve had this coil of blue piping stuffed down the side of the house since we moved here, not sure if it was left or came from the previous house.  Anyway, cut into suitable lengths and with a piece of garden cane stuffed up each end it made perfect net supports 



Under the white fleece I planted red and white onion sets. If they all come through we will have plenty of onions.


We replanted the rhubarb crowns and these are marked by the tyres, which hopefully will keep them neat and tidy.

I have broad bean seeds to plant in pots to get started and I need to find some garlic. I think that will be it on the planting front until the raspberry canes arrive next month. So apart from checking in from time to time and pulling out any weeds that dare to grow there’s not much else we can do for now.  Of course we will keep collecting the horse poo as it’s available, Peter made a bay for it using some of the plastic fencing that was on the plot.  I like to be tidy.

It was good to get my hair done by Will again we had a great catch up and I’m really happy with my cut. Life is much easier now I have accepted the natural curl in my hair, just a scrunch dry or leave to its own devices. 


I decided to make a from scratch vegetarian Indian meal tonight. My go to is Madhur Jaffrey for Indian cooking. Her recipes always work so well.  I made a Chana Daal, a Beetroot dish and Cauliflower with black mustard and fennel seeds - I substituted Romanesco for the cauliflower, out of the three dishes this was the best. The only problem with making from scratch is the time it takes - 2 hours by the time the daal is finished but so worth it.  I’m sure there will be no vampires in our room tonight, so much garlic!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x