6 January 2021

Lockdown 3 - day 2

 

Today is our mum’s 86th birthday. 

She is sporting a beautiful black eye courtesy of a fall at the weekend. A trip to hospital for a check over and glue!

We’ve not seen mum since February due to our trip and lockdowns and very limited visiting. They are only allowed one 15 minute visit once per week. We live nearly a two hour drive from her. She has dementia and no longer knows who we are and has no conversation. My brother who lives 10 minutes away goes to see her about once a fortnight and sends us photos and updates. As he says in the 15 minutes he is there she normally falls asleep!  You basically talk to yourself or staff as she can’t answer your questions. It’s so sad and I know both myself and my younger brother feel very guilty. 

The photos below are from earlier this year, some taken through the windows, others through the plexiglass that protects her. You can’t touch or hug. The bonus, if there is one to dementia, is that she is blissfully unaware of what’s going on in the world. 


Happy birthday Mum 🎂


2 comments:

  1. I’m glad your mum’s ok. Dementia is so horrible, I visited my mum in law every week when she was in care, some of her ramblings were interesting to say the least! Most of the time she was in the past, talking about school (she had been a teacher) and her ‘boys’and I just went along with it, but it was too much for my husband so that’s why I visited instead. I hope you are doing ok with everything else x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for you to share these photos. A fine looking Birthday Gal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x